Friday 12 August 2011

Indonesia - Bali - Ulu Watu

Within minutes of docking in Flores - I was informed of a Family Emergency....My Grandma had passed at the age of 85... I felt drawn to return back home on the next flight, however with it being Ramadan all flights were fully booked and my only ticket out of Indonesia was to catch a flight from Bali -Denpasar Airport. After the obvious initial shock & conversation with my elder cousins - who i look upon as my own brother & sister - i soon realized that i wouldn't arrive back in time to attend the funeral... Although i wanted nothing more than to be back at home, it seemed that all the odds were stacked against me. My only sanctuary was to say my prayers alone from the other side of the world... Although I'm not what you'd call a religious man, I do have respect for those people who are & I personally do believe in a greater power...
My Grandma was a deeply devout Hindu - she had an entire bedroom converted into a Temple and when ever i visited we always performed a prayer before i left & since i can remember i had nicked named her "Jai Shankar Baa". Because funnily enough that was the 1st thing we always said to her when we met. Jai Shankar...Baa/Grandma

I only thought it was fitting to head back to Bali where the majority of the population are Hindu - Balinese - to say my farewell... I attended The Pura Luhur although its a tourist trap, due to its beautiful setting, it is actually one Bali's most important temples, located on the edge of a cliff...
Although tourists are not actually allowed to enter the temple; only the surrounding area - I was made an exception of, where I met with the Priest & performed a small Puja with him...
I am grateful that both Jade and David where there to help through the day...But sometimes there's just no place like home, amongst family...










 

 Some of the practices are a bit different....
But non the less I felt good after wards


You will be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment